Meal Plan Frequently Asked Questions

RMU Dining Services
20/21 Meal Plan
20/21 Dining Locations
20/21 Meal Plan Frequently Asked Questions
20/21 Dining Hours
19/20 Dining Locations
19/20 Dining Hours - By Location
19/20 Dining Hours (Off Season/Holidays)
19/20 Commuter Dining Plan
Tuition and Fee Schedule
Food Allergy & Gluten Friendly Program


2020-2021 Meal Plan Frequently Asked Questions:

What are my Meal Plan options?

RMU offers a singular All-Access meal plan with flexible Dining Dollars. The All-access meal plan offers:
  • Unlimited Access to the PNC Colonial Café
  • Meal Equivalency
    • Yorktown Cafe (Breakfast 1x, Dinner 2x)
    • On the Go! Locations (Lunch 1x)
  • An allocation of $200 Flexible Dining Dollars per semester that can be used at all retail locations: RoMo’s Café, Hale Café, Yorktown Café, and On the Go! locations. 
  • 5 Guest Passes per Semester to be used in PNC Colonial Cafe

What is a meal equivalency?

Meal Equivalency is a meal combo that includes a main entree, side, and beverage, and is included as part of the All-Access Meal Plan that does not require the use of Dining Dollars. 

Can I really access PNC Café as much as I want?

Yes, as the name implies, the All-Access Meal Plan is essentially like a membership that allows you to come and go. This is different from the previous plans as there is no longer a need to track or budget meal plan declining balance dollars during the semester.

How do I select a Meal Plan?

Students will automatically be enrolled in the all-access meal plan during the housing contract application process. Fall 2020 housing opens on Wednesday, February 19, 2020.

Commuter students are not required to purchase a meal plan, however they can choose between the all-access plan or the Commuter Plan if they wish. 

Where can I use my meal plan?

The All-Access Meal Plan can be used with unlimited access to the PNC Colonial Café (anytime the student wishes and as many times as they want). The Yorktown Café and other On the Go! locations offer a meal equivalency during the Meal Times. Meal Equivalency is a meal combo that includes a main entree, side, and beverage, and is included as part of the All-Access Plan. 

Is there a choice of meal plans?

For a more convenient and simple approach, RMU has converted to a single All-Access Meal Plan. As part of the housing contract, resident students will be automatically enrolled into the All-Access Meal Plan.

I live in Yorktown, can I use my meal plan there?

Yes, Students will be able to use their All-Access Meal Plan at the Yorktown Café. Each evening a selection of meal combos will be available to select from as a meal equivalency from 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM daily. A meal equivalency is used for a full meal; as an example, Burger, fries, and beverage. Students will be able to use up to 2 meal equivalencies during these hours. Additionally, Dining Dollars, cash, credit and Colonial Cash can also be used at Yorktown Café for additional purchases.

I don’t live at Yorktown, can I still dine at the Yorktown Café?

Yes, the Yorktown Café accepts: All-Access meal equivalency, Dining Dollars, cash, credit, and Colonial Cash.

Where are meal equivalencies accepted?

The meal equivalency is available at Yorktown Café, Wheatley Cafe and On the Go! locations. 

If I use a Meal Equivalency Swipe at 5:00 PM at Yorktown, can I then go to PNC Café and Swipe in for a snack after night class?

Yes, the All-Access meal plan gives unlimited access to the PNC Colonial Café.

I have a night class, will there be anywhere for me to eat?

Yes. We understand the students have varied schedule from early morning to late evening. The PNC Colonial Café and the Yorktown Cafe are open for late night dining.

How can I use my Guest Passes?

Your All-Access Meal Plan is non-transferable and may only be used by you. However, you have 5 guest passes to use during the semester. Your guest passes may be used for a friend or family member. However, keep in mind that guests can always pay with cash or credit card.

How do I use my Guest Passes?

Guest Passes are automatically loaded onto your card along with the All-Access meal plan and Dining Dollars at the beginning of each semester. To use, notify the cashier at the entrance of the dining center that you want to use your Guest Pass(es).

If you run out of Guest passes, you may purchase a ‘meal at the door’ by using Dining Dollars, cash, credit card, or Colonial Cash.

Can I purchase additional Dining Dollars?

Yes, at the beginning of the semester the all-access meal plan will be pre-loaded with $200.00 Dining Dollars per semester ($400 per academic year). You may add additional Dining Dollars online through Sentry Secure Services OR by stopping into the Student Financial Services Office in Revere, OR coming the the Summer of 2020, by making a deposit at the new Cash re-load Machine by the Freedom Card Office near Hopwood Hall.

What is the difference between Dining Dollars and Colonial Cash?

Dining Dollars are flexible dollars that are part of the All-Access Meal Plan and can be used at, RoMo’s Café, Hale Café, and all On the Go! locations and can be used to purchase anything sold in those locations. Dining Dollars are tax exempt and must be used within the Academic Year.

Colonial Cash is a debit account available to all students, faculty, and staff and is loaded onto your Freedom Card for use on both campus and participating off-campus locations in Moon Township. A list of locations that accepts Colonial Cash can be found at

Do my Dining Dollars carry over if I don't use them?

Dining Dollars will carry over from the Fall Semester to the Spring Semester, and any unused funds will expire in May. (Note: If a meal plan is not continued into Spring semester, any leftover Dining Dollars will be forfeited after the class add/drop period, which is one week into the semester). 

Can I use my Dining Dollars at the Vending Machines?

No. However, Dining Dollars can be used at RoMo’s Café, Hale Café, Yorktown Café, and all On the Go! locations.

Where can I find dining location menus and hours of operation?

The hours of operation can be found at Menu information and hours of operation can also be found on the free FoodU App which is available for iPhone and android devices.

What do I do if I have a special dietary need or food allergy?

The RMU Center for Student Success and RMU Dining Team work together to assist students with special dietary needs. Contact to get connected. Special accommodations can also be requested in the housing contract.

Who do I contact whenever I have a great idea?

Please feel free to contact the Dining Management Team at any time with your ideas, comments or suggestions. All management team members where a gold name badge are available in the dining locations during the meal periods. You may also submit your ideas through the “My Ideas” section of the FoodU app.

I lost my Freedom Card, what do I do?

In the event a card has been misplaced and cannot be found, it can be temporarily frozen or permanently deactivated by calling 412-397-5496 between 8:30AM – 5:00PM Monday-Friday or by emailing, or stop by the card office to obtain a new card located at 307 Nicholson Hall.

For any questions about the dining plan not covered here, please email